A bratwurst is delicious all year round, but especially during the peak grill seasons of summer and fall. Here is a tried-and-true recipe for Honey Jalapeño Beer Brats using our Irish Red Ale with Honey.
- 10-12 brats
- 2-3 cans of Six Mile Bridge Irish Red Ale
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 large onion
- 1-3 jalapeños depending on desired intensity
- 1/4 cup honey
- Favorite brat buns (we like brioche or pretzel buns)
Suggested for accompaniment: Sweet potato fries, dill pickle spears.
- Chop onion into large chunks. Add onion and butter to a large pot or dutch oven and cook on medium heat until the onions start to soften and brown.
- Add brats, honey and enough beer to completely or almost cover the brats.
- Chop up as many jalapeños as you want for your ideal heat level (remove seeds/pulp). One large jalapeño adds a hint of flavor, so add 2 or 3 or even 4 if you want to feel the fire. Add them to the pot.
- Bring the beer to a boil and then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 30 minutes in the beer mixure.
- Remove the brats from the pot (turn off heat) and grill on medium to high heat until the casing has grill lines and crisper texture.
- Return the brats to the beer pot and return to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain the brats and onion/pepper mix out when you’re ready to serve.
We recommend serving with a variety of mustards, and the beer marinated onions/peppers as an optional brat topping. YUM.